Elliott, Lloyd Hartman
From GW Encyclopedia
Fourteenth President of The George Washington University
Dr. Lloyd Hartman Elliott (b.1918), before coming to George Washington University, served in the same capacity at the University of Maine. He was born in West Virginia in 1918. He graduated high school at age fifteen and earned a B.A. degree from Glenville State College (West Virginia) at age eighteen in 1936. His career in education began when he started teaching in elementary and high schools in Widen, West Virginia in 1937. He later became principal of the Widen system from 1939-42, and received his M.A. in education from West Virginia University in 1939. He served in the Navy during World War II from 1942-46, as the commander of a landing craft. After the war he taught school and received his doctorate from the University of Colorado. In 1948 he became a professor at Cornell University, and in 1955 became Assistant to the provost and acting director of the School of Education. In 1956 he was named executive assistant to the president, a position he held until leaving for the University of Maine in 1958 to become the president there.
Dr. Elliott arrived at GW in 1965, and served as University President during the turbulent years of the Vietnam Era and the student protests. By the end of his tenure Dr. Elliott had brought to the University financial stability and continued growth through academic development and his many building programs.
GW Tenure Information: As Dr. Elliott considered libraries to be the backbone of any campus, his proudest achievement was the building of the three libraries currently at the campus: the Melvin Gelman Library, the Jacob Burns Law Library, and the Paul Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library. In addition to the library projects, the Academic Center, (comprised of Smith, Rome and Phillips Halls), Funger Hall and the National Law Center's Theodore N. Lerner Hall were completed. In 1970 Dr. Elliott opened the Cloyd Heck Marvin Student Center, which had been a high priority because of the great need for additional space for student activities. 1973 was a landmark year for the University. GW's medical training program was moved from 13th and H Streets, N.W. to the Walter G. Ross Hall. With the relocation of the School of Medicine and Health Sciences, the University was for the first time located in one central area. The Charles E. Smith Center for Physical Education and Athletics, which replaced the old "Tin Tabernacle" gymnasium, was dedicated in 1975.
During his tenure, Dr. Elliott began the Educational Opportunity Program and created the new faculty rank of "University Professor." He increased the number of endowed professorships from three to twenty, and is also credited with the tremendous growth in the University's endowment -- from $8 million in 1965 to $200 million in 1988.
Photographic Credit: The Elliott Years publication
Author or Source: University Archives subject and personnel files; Hatchet student newspaper; Bricks Without Straw
Document Location: University Archives
Date Added to Encyclopedia: December 21, 2006
Prepared by: G. David Anderson; Lyle Slovick
For more information about GW history
Special Collections Research Center 
The Melvin Gelman Library 
The George Washington University 
2130 H Street, NW Suite 704
Washington, DC 20052
Please send us your questions and comments about the encyclopedia.
This site is maintained by the Special Collections Research Center and the Web Development Group.