From GW Encyclopedia
Title: J. William Fulbright Hall
Address: 2223 H Street, N.W.
Square and lot, bordering streets: Square 55 (H, I, 22nd, 23rd)
Architect: Joseph Abel
Date of construction: 1939
Original owner: Unknown
Architectural Description: The Art Deco-inspired detailing includes, curved metal surrounding the recessed entrance and cast stone at the roofline with zigzag motifs and vertical banding.
Formerly on the square: Everglades Hall; Everglades Apartments for Nurses (bought by University in 1947).
Historic designation: DC historic site designation January 28, 2010; National Register listing June 18, 2010
This eight-story residence hall was formerly the Everglades Apartments. In 1947, the university purchased the building to house nurses on the staff of the George Washington University Hospital and renamed it the Everglades Apartments for Nurses. In 1982, the building became Everglades Hall, a co-ed dormitory, before being renamed in honor of Fulbright on May 6, 1996.
The hall is named for Senator J. William Fulbright, Arkansas Democrat whose congressional resolution in 1945 signaled that body's willingness to have the United States join the world peace organization that came to be known as the United Nations Organization, marking the end of America's traditional isolation from world affairs. Fulbright earned his LL.B. degree from GW in 1934. In 1959, he was present on campus when ceremonies were held for the retirement of long-time GW President Cloyd Heck Marvin. On that occasion, Fulbright described himself modestly as a former student and instructor at The George Washington University. Fulbright is, of course, best remembered in academia for initiating the program of international student exchanges, which bears his name. Fulbright fellowships are still highly prized, and GW students have won their share of them.
Photographic Credit: GW University Historical Photographs Collection
Author or Source: University Archives collections; Dr. Peter Hill
Document Location: University Archives
Date Added to Encyclopedia: December 21, 2006
Prepared by: Lyle Slovick; G. David Anderson
Updated: March 15, 2011
For more information about GW history
Special Collections Research Center 
The Melvin Gelman Library 
The George Washington University 
2130 H Street, NW Suite 704
Washington, DC 20052
Please send us your questions and comments about the encyclopedia.
This site is maintained by the Special Collections Research Center and the Web Development Group.