Hall of Government
From GW Encyclopedia
Title: Hall of Government
Address: 710 21st Street, N.W.
Square and lot, bordering streets: Square 79, lot 845 (G, H, 21st, 22nd Streets)
Architect: Waldron Faulkner
Date of construction: 1938
Original owner: George Washington University
Description: The Hall of Government was the gift of Mrs. Henry Alvah Strong, Trustee of the University. The cornerstone was laid on May 18, 1938, and was built by Charles H. Tompkins. An addition to the building, which connects with Monroe Hall, was finished in the 1970s. Designed by Washington architect, Waldron Faulkner, it well illustrates the character of institutional buildings being constructed in the city during the 1930s. While the form and line make a severe statement, the limestone facing and the application of subtle ornamental detail enrich an otherwise stern edifice. The building is seven bays wide and four stories high, complementing the contemporaneous structures on G Street. The vertical, limestone piers read on one plane, and the horizontal metal spandrels, recessed behind them, create a visual tension that unites the disparate parts into one object. This unity is further articulated by the fluted molding which connects the surface of the facade to the plane of the windows. An Art Deco allegorical figure is set into a square panel over the door which is flanked by limestone plinths and benches.
Formerly on the square: Social Science Hall
Historic designation: None
Photographic Credit: GW University Historical Photographs Collection
Author or Source: Application for Historic Building Registry, 1974; Reconnaissance-Level Architectural Survey of Properties in Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C., 1999 (RG0063, Series 10, Box 1, Folder 3).
Document Location: University Archives
Date Added to Encyclopedia: December 21, 2006
Prepared by: Lyle Slovick
For more information about GW history
Special Collections Research Center 
The Melvin Gelman Library 
The George Washington University 
2130 H Street, NW Suite 704
Washington, DC 20052
Please send us your questions and comments about the encyclopedia.
This site is maintained by the Special Collections Research Center and the Web Development Group.