Speech and Hearing Science
From GW Encyclopedia
Since 2002, the department has been known as Speech and Hearing Science. The department is within the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences (CCAS). The department has two graduate programs; one for those who have an undergraduate degree in speech language pathology and one for those who have an undergraduate degree from another field. In addition, the department has a graduate program in Speech-Language Pathology.
As part of the department, the Speech and Hearing Center provides a full range of speech, language, and hearing services for individuals with communicative disorders. The newest and most innovative techniques, materials, and equipment are used. The Center serves persons of all ages, from infants to senior citizens. Counseling is also provided for the family of the communicatively handicapped individual. Faculty and students are also involved in clinical research projects.
As part of the training and service missions of the department, The George Washington University established its Speech and Hearing Center in 1946, to train graduate students to serve those with communication impairments in the metropolitan Washington D.C. area. Certified speech language pathologists and audiologists (both faculty and staff) provide the many hours of direct graduate student supervision necessary to ensure superb training for our students and quality speech language and hearing services to hundreds of clients per year.
Prior to 2002 the department was known as the Speech and Hearing Department (1983-2002), and from 1968-1983 it was part of the Speech and Drama Department. From 1965-68 it was known as the Speech and Hearing Clinic, and before that as the Speech Clinic.
For more information about GW history
Special Collections & University Archives
The George Washington University
Melvin Gelman Library, Suite 704
2130 H Street, NW
Washington, DC 20052
Please send us your questions and comments about the encyclopedia
Site maintained by Special Collections & University Archives and the Web Development Group